Zayed Huon Energy Futures Team
The Zayed Energy Team have been generating energy to power interest in renewables. The ABC news team captured the action.
It takes about 600 watts to cook a doughnut. Or, if you attend Huonville High School, a brisk 20-minute ride on the school's energy bikes.
Finding power in unusual places: Showcase of micro-hydro and cycle power | ABC News
In 2021 the team launched the film Renewable Energy Innovators of the Huon Valley. It features Mike Fewings with his micro hydro system, Ross Heather with his tracking solar system and Bo Cavanagh and his off grid sawmill featuring tri-generation. View the complete film or the individual projects below:
Energy Innovators of the Huon Valley, Tasmania https://vimeo.com/546801299
Tri generation- forest waste https://player.vimeo.com/video/464890779
Tracking Solar https://player.vimeo.com/video/464893981
In 2017 Huonville High School was one of 14 schools from around the globe to win the Zayed Future Energy Prize.
With the $130,000 prize we installed 42 kW of solar panels, a pellet mill using waste saw dust and ran a pedal powered cinema. A cottage in the school was retro-fitted as the Zayed Huon Energy Hub. This Hub is a community resource centre demonstrating energy innovation that features double and triple glazing, battery storage, a crockery library, a home composting system, insulation displays, solar cookers and solar panels including state of the art monitoring displays. It is the base for the ZHEFT teams weekly meetings.
The ZHEFT has achieved great things:
- 2017 Oceania Global high school winner of the Zayed Sustainability Prize
- 4 students, 4 staff and 2 community members represented at the international Abu Dhabi Sustainability Weeks 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- 350,000 reach on social media.
- Community events such as the Huon Fix It Day, Energy Maker’s Fair and community workshops such as solar cooking, making beeswax wraps, energy saving.
- Annual Huon STEM Expos with Huon schools
- Saved 45 tonnes of C02 emissions. In 2021 diverted $42,000 to other educational programs in the school and produced 88.65 megawatts of green electricity as a result renewable energy sources at the school
- Australian winner of the Energy Globe Award, 2020
- Sister School link with Smithton High
- Produced a series of videos on Renewable Energy Innovators of the Huon Valley